|Final Black College Sports Page Top 10|
1. WINSTON-SALEM STATE (14-1) - With a prolific offense and stingy defense, the Rams rolled into history with second straight undefeated regular season record (10-0), second straight CIAA and Super Region I titles en route to NCAA Div. II Championship Game. Suffered only loss in national title game, 35-7 to Valdosta State. Head coach Connell Maynor's Rams held down the BCSP top spot all season long and repeat as BCSP national champion. First HBCU team to win 14 games and only second ever to reach D2 title game.
2. TENNESSEE STATE (8-3) - Rod Reed's Blue Tigers lost three games in the Ohio Valley Conference but got big wins over MEAC champ Bethune-Cookman (21-14), SWAC champion Arkansas-Pine Bluff (40-13) and SWAC runner-up Jackson State (38-12). TSU earns second place.
3. BETHUNE-COOKMAN (9-3) - Wildcats dominated MEAC (8-0) to win second title and FCS playoff berth in three years under head coach Brian Jenkins. 'Cats loss in first round of FCS playoffs to Coastal Carolina (24-14). Also had losses to Tennessee State (21-14) and Miami (38-10).
4. ARKANSAS-PINE BLUFF (10-2) - Head coach Monte Coleman's Golden Lions won SWAC West by five games with 8-1 mark and beat East champ Jackson State, 24-21 in OT, in SWAC title game. Had losses to Alabama A&M (14-10) and Tenn. State (40-13).
5. JACKSON STATE (7-5) - Blue Tigers won SWAC East over Alabama State then battled to 24-21 OT loss to UAPB in league title game. Rick Comegy's troops had regular season losses to Miss. State (56-9), Tenn. State (38-12), Southern (28-21), and UAPB (34-24).
6. TUSKEGEE (10-2) - Willie Slater's Golden Tigers returned to SIAC dominance, winning the West title with 7-0 mark and thrashing East champ Fort Valley State in league's title game (55-24). Won 10 straight games after opening loss to Alabama A&M (7-6). Ended season with 28-13 loss to CIAA runner-up Elizabeth City State in Pioneer Bowl XIV.
7. HOWARD (7-4) - Made further improvement in Gary Harrell's second season, finishing behind MEAC champ Bethune-Cookman with 6-2 mark. Suffered losses to Rutgers (26-0), NC A&T (38-10), SC State (41-23) and Georgia State (69-26).
8. MILES (8-3) - Finished behind Tuskegee in SIAC West with 6-1 mark losing to TU 27-17. Reggie Ruffin's Golden Bears lost to West Alabama in first round of Div. II playoffs (41-7), the Golden Bears first-ever playoff appearance. Also lost to North Alabama (31-30) to open the season.
9. ALABAMA STATE (7-4) - Tied Jackson State for SWAC East title with 7-2 mark but lost in head-to-head meeting, 37-34. Reggie Barlow's Hornets also lost close games to Bethune-Cookman (38-28), UAPB (24-21) and Tuskegee (27-25)
10. DELAWARE STATE (6-5) - In second year under Kermit Blount, Hornets improved from 1-7 in MEAC, 3-8 overall to 5-3, tied for third in league, 6-5 overall. Big loss to Delaware (38-14), but dropped close ones to Cincinnati (23-7), Florida A&M (24-22), NC Central (23-20, OT) and Howard (41-34).
|Last Updated ( Tue Dec 18, 2012 - 10:48pm )|