FINAL BCSP TOP 10
1. SOUTH CAROLINA STATE (10-2) - Buddy Pough's Bulldogs ran the table in the MEAC (8-0) to take their second straight league championship before suffering a stinging 20-13 loss to Appalachian State in the first round of the FCS playoffs. Their only other loss was to SEC-member South Carolina (38-14). Common opponent with Prairie View was Grambling who the 'Dawgs defeated 34-31 to open the season. QB Malcolm Long (2,503 passing yards, 20 TDs, 10 ints.) should have been MEAC offensive player of the year. WR Oliver Young and RB Will Ford were outstanding.
(TIE) PRAIRIE VIEW A&M (9-1) - Henry Frazier III's Panthers were the best story of 2009, running the table in the SWAC (9-0) and winning their first championship in 45 years with 30-24 win over Alabama A&M. The Panthers' only loss was to New Mexico State, 21-18. Common opponent with S. C. State was Grambling who the Panthers defeated 35-32 on October 3. QB K. J. Black (70.4% completions, 22 TDs, 4 ints.) named regular season and title game MVP. RB Donald Babers (919 rushing yards, 9 TDs) was key.
3. FLORIDA A&M (8-3) - Rattlers finished second in MEAC behind play of exciting QB Curtis Pulley. Lost to SC State, Hampton and Miami.
4. GRAMBLING STATE (7-4) - Rod Broadway's G-Men finished tied behind Prairie View with Texas Southern for second in the SWAC West. Tigers lost to SC State, Oklahoma State, Prairie View and Arkansas-Pine Bluff.
5. ALABAMA A&M (7-5) - Bulldogs won the SWAC East title in close race with Jackson State and Alcorn State before losing to PV in SWAC finals. Lost to Prairie View twice, Grambling, Jacksonville State and Alcorn State.
6. TUSKEGEE (10-2) - Willie Slater's troops won fourth straight SIAC title and then beat Elizabeth City State in Pioneer Bowl. Losses to Miles to open the season and to Alabama A&M in Circle City Classic.
7. NORFOLK STATE (7-4) - Pete Adrian's Spartans finished third in MEAC behind SC State and Florida A&M. Lost to NC A&T, William & Mary, SC State and FAMU.
8. TEXAS SOUTHERN (6-5) - Johnny Cole's Tigers beat Southern and Arkansas-Pine Bluff to land tied for second with Grambling in SWAC West. Black college losses to Prairie View and Grambling, also lost to La.-Monroe, Texas State and Rutgers.
9. ALBANY STATE (8-3) - SIAC runner-up lost in first round of NCAA Div. II playoffs to West Alabama, 24-22. Also fell to Tuskegee and Fort Valley State.
10. FAYETTEVILLE STATE (8-4) - CIAA West Division champs won CIAA championship game over Bowie State before losing in first round of Div. II playoffs to California (Pa.) 42-13. Also lost to UNC-Pembroke, Catawba and Virginia State.
© 2008 Azeez Communications, Inc.