Google Custom Search

BALTIMORE, Md. – Derek Brown, the winningest coach in Coppin State women’s basketball history, has announced his retirement.

He steps down after 30 years of serving as a basketball coach at Coppin State University. Brown was the women’s head coach for the last 17 seasons and finished with an overall record of 269-237. Previously he had been an assistant on the men’s coaching staff beginning in 1986.copp derek brownBrown

“It has been an enjoyable ride, all 30 years here at Coppin,” Brown said. “To me doing what you love to do as a job was a blessing for 30 years. I hope that everyone gets to do a job that they totally enjoy doing. I woke up every morning wanting to get the guys and then the girls better at their craft of basketball,” Brown continued.

Coach Brown took over the women’s basketball program during the 1999-2000 season. The Eagles accomplished five 20-win seasons, nine different seasons with a winning record, and established the Eagles as one of the premiere programs in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC).

Brown has led Coppin State to three NCAA Tournament appearances, two berths in the WNIT, three Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference regular-season crowns along with a then-conference record 49-game winning streak against MEAC foes. Individually, he has won two MEAC Coach of the Year honors and has been named the Most Outstanding Coach of the MEAC Tournament on three occasions.

s2smodern

Please consider supporting our work.

The pandemic has financial consequences, especially for Black-owned businesses.. Ad revenue is shrinking so we are asking you directly for your financial support. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan or process your donation through Square

Cancellations3