Google Custom Search

Baltimore, Md. - An NCAA Division II team handing a Division I school a loss on their home court is a tough feat in itself, but the Lincoln University men's basketball program has accomplished that twice now, defeating Morgan State University 77-75 Thursday afternoon at Hill Field lions2019
The win marks the second time in the past seven seasons that the Lions have defeated a Division I team on their own home court, having defeated Howard University 68-62 on November 10, 2012 at Howard's Burr Gymnasium.. Howard fell to 5-8 with the loss. For Lincoln the game was one of their pre-declared allowable discretionary exceptions and will not count in their win/loss record.

Four players reached double figures to pace the Lincoln attack, led by sophomore Deaquan Williams (Camden, N.J./Camden). Williams finished the game with 16 points (6-12 FG) and grabbed a game high nine rebounds. Junior Cameron Campbell (Fayetteville, N.C./Trinity Christian) added 15 points (6-11 FG, 3-6 3FG) while sophomore Jordan Camper(Chester, Pa./Chester) came off the bench to score 14 points, grab eight rebounds and record two blocks on the afternoon. Freshman Zahrion Blue rounded out the double figure scorers with 12 points. Freshman guard Tamir Green (Philadelphia, Pa./Constitution) dished out a team-high six assists and had four steals while scoring five points.

Sherwyn Devonish led the Bears with 17 points, despite a 3-14 shooting effort from the field. Devonish was perfect from the free throw line (11-11). Stanley Davis added 16 points and a team-high seven rebounds.

The two teams never led by more than two possessions throughout the entire 40 minutes of action, with the Lions posting a six point advantage late in the first half and the Bears taking a six point advantage early in the second half.

Following the Lions gaining a their six point advantage in the first half, the Bears rallied to take a two point lead on two Devonish free throws with 1:16 left. Campbell's three point field goal with 8.5 seconds left gave the Lions a 35-34 lead at the half.

The Bears opened the second half with a 13-6 spurt, taking a 47-41 lead at the 15:23 mark. Still trailing by six 49-43, Lincoln responded with a 10-0 run to reclaim the advantage, getting a traditional three-point play from Williams on a dunk, a three-ball from Campbell another slam dunk by Camper via a sweet pass in the lane from Campbell and a layup from Terrance Gibbons(Upper Marlboro, Md./Dr. H.A. Wise) to lead 53-49 with 10:17 left.

Back came the Bears with a 10-4 run to take a 59-57 lead, getting eight of their ten points from the free throw line. Green's layup-and-one put the Lions back on top 60-59 with 8:25 left. The lead changed hands three times over the next 75 seconds and was tied at 64-64 when the Bears produced a 6-1 mini run to lead 70-65 with 4:15 left.

The Lions again showed their resilience, running off ten straight points to reverse the deficit and take a five point lead of their own 75-70 with just 25 seconds left. Morgan State made one last run closing within two and had the ball with a chance to tie or win 6.6 seconds left but turned the ball over, sealing the Lions victory.

~Lincoln Sports Information