Google Custom Search

JACKSON, Miss. – Jackson State University has announce a four-year contract extension for head women's basketball coach Tomekia Reed.

"I am extremely thankful and honored that President Thomas Hudson and Vice President and Director of Athletics Ashley Robinson saw fit for me to remain at the helm of the JSU women's basketball program," Reed said. "I am thankful for AD Robinson's commitment to our program and we will have several more outstanding seasons to come."jsu tomekia reedReed

The Lady Tigers won the 2019-20 Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) Regular Season Championship and qualified as the No. 1 seed in the 2020 SWAC Tournament before COVID-19 caused the cancellation of postseason play.

"Coach Reed has done a tremendous job and has elevated the program in her two short years on the job," Robinson said. "She led the program to its first SWAC regular-season championship in over 10 years and has set the foundation for continued success. Coach Reed and her staff have done a great job recruiting and I expect her to continue to raise the bar."

The 2019-20 JSU women's basketball season will go down in program history as one of the most dominant. The Lady Tigers opened conference play with a 12-0 start, which is the program best. The Blue and White finished conference play with a 16-2 mark which tied the program record.

This past season Reed was named SWAC Coach of the Year and Ameshya Williams, Marneisha Hamer, and Dayzsha Rogan were named to the all-conference team. Williams was also named Defensive Player of the Year.

s2smodern

Please consider supporting our work.

The pandemic has financial consequences, especially for Black-owned businesses.. Ad revenue is shrinking so we are asking you directly for your financial support. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan or process your donation through Square

Cancellations3