Google Custom Search

Fisk University head men's basketball coach Derek Watkins has resigned. Watkins, a 1994 graduate of Fisk, coached the men's team for the last three years compiling an overall record of 18-72.Fisk University

"This was a tough decision for me. It has been a great ride but I have some things that I need to accomplish. I love coaching at my alma mater. Fisk will always have a special place in heart,” said Watkins.

Watkins has been a vital cog in the athletic department since he became the head coach. This past year he and the program graduated four players and they were the first seniors he had during his tenure.

Watkins is not leaving the cupboard bare. Fisk has a National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) Honorable Mention All-American on campus in rising senior Darryl Miller, a 2012-13 pre-season all-conference selection in rising junior Cameron Lewis, and a very competitive recruiting class for the 2013-14 season.

"Coach Watkins will be missed. He did a great job of getting making this program competitive in his three years and we were very excited about the outlook for the 2013-14 season.  He had to make a decision that he deemed was best for him and his family at this time and we wish him much success in his future endeavors," said Athletic Director Anthony Owens.

Owens named men's assistant coach Jay Smith as the interim head coach. A search for a replacement will start immediately.

s2smodern

Please consider supporting our work.

Some news outlets have begun to limit access to their content (X number of articles per month, etc). Ad revenue isn't enough so we are asking you directly for your financial support. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan or process your donation through PayPal below